Sweet and Sour Chicken Snack Pots
Serves 20 children
Top Tip: For a variation of rice pots, try with chicken curry or chilli con carne.
- 1kg Tilda Brown & White Rice
- 8 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 870g tinned pineapple in juice
- 1 green pepper, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 8 large spring onions, sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 6 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 6 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 800ml water
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- Seasoning, to taste
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the rice and return to a medium boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes depending on required texture. Drain well and keep hot.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the oil and stir fry the chicken on a medium heat until browned and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the peppers and spring onions to the pan and cook until tender. Then add the grated carrot, tomato puree, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and dried ginger.
- Remove the pineapple from the juice, cut into small chunks and set aside. Pour the pineapple juice into the pan along with the water.
- Add a little water to the cornflour in a small dish to make a thin paste, then stir into the sauce and add the chicken. Stir and cook over a low to medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the pineapple before serving.
- To serve, fill two thirds of the disposable cup with hot rice and top with the sweet and sour chicken. Alternatively the rice and sauce can be mixed together before serving.
- Add a fork and serve!