An excellent low ticket item for breakfast or brunch appealing to those wanting a slow release carbohydrate.
- 175g uncooked, Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice
- 150g dried apple (or 75-100g other dried fruit eg. apricots or mango), finely chopped
- 75g wheat flakes
- 75g barley flakes
- 75g rye flakes
- 1.5L water
- 50g honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Unsalted butter or water (only required to change texture)
- Greek yogurt (to serve)
- Fresh strawberries (to serve)
- Combine the rice, wheat, barley, rye flakes and dried apples in a slow cooker or large casserole dish.
- Stir in the water, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt and cover.
- Set the slow cooker (recommended) on high or set the oven to 140˚C and cook for 2.5-3 hours (or until the rice grains are tender but not mushy). Check every hour and stir.
- Once the rice is cooked you can adjust the texture by adding more water or butter.
- Serve with Greek yogurt, fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey.
- Can be served hot or cold and kept for 2-3 days in the fridge and reheated in the microwave or hob over low heat.