Classic Jollof Rice
Packed with mouth-watering flavours and a spicy kick, this Jollof Rice is a simple, one-pot wonder that’s easy to make!
- 900g Tilda Easy Cook Long Grain or Tilda Easy Cook Brown Long Grain Rice, uncooked
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 5 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
- 3 medium red onions, diced
- 4 large bell peppers (2 red, 2 yellow), deseeded & diced
- 1½ – 2 scotch bonnets, or to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tsp garlic paste or chopped garlic
- 2 tsp ginger (powder, paste or fresh)
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp each of paprika, turmeric & dried thyme
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 litre of stock (vegetable or chicken)
- Salt & black/white pepper to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- Optional Extras
- Additional vegetables (diced courgettes, carrots, squash, green beans, peas)
- Caramelised sliced onions, halved cherry tomatoes to garnish
- In a large pan, heat the oil and add the diced onions, peppers and scotch bonnets. Season with a pinch of salt, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the bay leaves, garlic, ginger, curry powder and other spices, dried thyme and a pinch of black pepper. Continue on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir for another 2 minutes, followed by the tinned chopped tomatoes (if you prefer a smoother consistency, you blend the chopped tomatoes beforehand). Stir and set on medium heat for 6-8 minutes until slightly reduced, with the lid partly on.
- Add the stock to the cooked tomato sauce, then bring to boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cover with a double piece of foil or baking parchment then put a lid on the pan. Cook on the lowest possible heat for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Stir the mixture, taste and season as required. If the rice needs more cooking, stir in a little more stock or water. If you like, add additional sliced caramelised onions, fresh halved cherry tomatoes and stir through. Cover and leave for 5-6 minutes, before serving sprinkle over chopped coriander.