Chicken Power Bowl
Filled with a layered salad made of chicken and cooked rice sautéed garlic, cumin & mustard seed, turmeric and chilli with grilled avocado, cumin roasted butternut squash, crushed walnuts, topped with cumin infused kale crisps.
Recipe courtesy of www.greatbritishchefs.com
- 100g Tilda Easy Cook Basmati & Wild Rice
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 3 cm ginger, grated
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- Large pinch of walnuts
- 50g Kale
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small dices
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced into thick slices
- Juice from half a lemon
- ½ tsp mustard seeds, toasted and crushed
- 20ml oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Coat the diced butternut squash in a little oil and a sprinkle of cumin seeds and chilli. Bake for 25 minutes until soft and charred. Remove and cool.
- Coat the kale in a sprinkle of oil with some cumin and cook in the oven for 10 minutes until crisp – do not let it brown too much. Remove and leave to cool.
- Cook the rice as per the instructions on the pack.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard and cumin seeds until they sizzle and become fragrant.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent and add the garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sliced chicken and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the salt, turmeric and chilli powders with the ginger and chilli and continue to cook. You can add a little splash of water if it feels too dry. Once the chicken is cooked through (about 5-6 minutes), remove from the heat and check the seasoning. Leave to cool. (You can add the cooked rice to the chicken mixture or leave it separate).
- Toast the walnuts in a dry frying pan for about 3-4 minutes, until golden. Cool, then crush in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat a griddle and sear the avocado slices.
- Build your salad with the butternut squash, chicken mixture, the griddled avocado, cooked Basmati and Wild rice, the crispy kale and sprinkle over the crushed toasted walnuts with the dressing.