Classic Jollof Rice
- 900g Tilda Easy Cook Long Grain or Tilda Easy Cook Brown Long Grain Rice, uncooked
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 5 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
- 3 medium red onions, diced
- 4 large bell peppers (2 red, 2 yellow), deseeded & diced
- 1½ – 2 scotch bonnets, or to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tsp garlic paste or chopped garlic
- 2 tsp ginger (powder, paste or fresh)
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp each of paprika, turmeric & dried thyme
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 litre of stock (vegetable or chicken)
- Salt & black/white pepper to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- Optional Extras
- Additional vegetables (diced courgettes, carrots, squash, green beans, peas)
- Caramelised sliced onions, halved cherry tomatoes to garnish
In a large pan, heat the oil and add the diced onions, peppers and scotch bonnets. Season with a pinch of salt, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the bay leaves, garlic, ginger, curry powder and other spices, dried thyme and a pinch of black pepper. Continue on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and stir for another 2 minutes, followed by the tinned chopped tomatoes (if you prefer a smoother consistency, you blend the chopped tomatoes beforehand). Stir and set on medium heat for 6-8 minutes until slightly reduced, with the lid partly on.
Add the stock to the cooked tomato sauce, then bring to boil for 1-2 minutes.
Stir in the rice and cover with a double piece of foil or baking parchment then put a lid on the pan. Cook on the lowest possible heat for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Stir the mixture, taste and season as required. If the rice needs more cooking, stir in a little more stock or water. If you like, add additional sliced caramelised onions, fresh halved cherry tomatoes and stir through. Cover and leave for 5-6 minutes, before serving sprinkle over chopped coriander.