Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne
Serves 20 children
Serving Suggestion: Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and serve with guacamole, sour cream and a fresh green salad.
- 1kg Tilda Brown & White Rice
- 2kg Linda McCartney Vegemince™
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large onions, finely diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 red peppers, finely diced
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 2.5kg tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 1ltr hot vegetable stock
- 4 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tsp cumin, ground
- 3 tsp marjoram
- Black pepper, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1.6kg red kidney beans or mixed beans
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the rice and return to a medium boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes depending on required texture. Drain well and keep hot at a minimum of 63°C if not serving straight away.
- In a large pan, fry the onions, garlic and peppers in olive oil on a medium heat until tender. Add the Linda McCartney Vegemince™ and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and all spices then cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped tinned tomatoes, marjoram and stock. Season with black pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on a low heat for 45 minutes, stirring if necessary. Add the beans and cook for a further 15 minutes. Alternatively, the chilli can be cooked in an oven covered with foil or a lid.
- Remove from the heat a good 10 minutes before serving and adjust seasoning if required.