Smoked Haddock Kedgeree with Basmati & Wild Rice
- Serves 2
Recipe created by Dez Turland, Group Development Chef, Brend Hotels
Haddock & Rice
125g Tilda Easy Cook Basmati & Wild Rice
1/2 tbsp turmeric
1 star anise
250g smoked haddock (natural)
1 bay leaf
250g double cream
15g ginger, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 garlic clove
50g Madras curry paste
1/2 green chilli, finely chopped
35ml rapeseed oil
200ml coconut milk
50ml curry sauce (from above)
50ml milk (from poached haddock)
2 poached free range eggs
60g cauliflower florets
30g spinach. blanched and refreshed
15g flaked almonds, roasted
25g spring onions
15g coriander, chopped
Micro coriander/coconut shavings
- For the Haddock & Rice - Bring the milk to the boil, studded with the shallot, cloves, bay and lemon zest, pour over the haddock, cling film tightly and leave for 45 minutes.
- Remove the haddock from the milk and pick into large pieces. Wash the rice until the water becomes clear.
- Add the rice to a pan with 250ml of water, the turmeric and star anise, cover and bring to the boil.
- Turn down and simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to stand for 5 minutes then spread out on a tray to cool.
- For the Curry Sauce - Cook the shallots, ginger and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add the curry paste and chilli and cook out over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 100ml of water and reduce by half.
- Add the double cream and simmer for 5 minutes then transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- For the Coconut Espuma - Bring the coconut milk, milk and lecithin to the boil, add 50ml of the curry sauce and keep warm. When required foam with a blender.
- For the Garnish - Transfer the sauce to a pan and gently heat through. Add the rice and reheat.
- Fold in ¾ of the haddock and heat through. At the last minute add the remaining haddock, coriander, spring onions, spinach and cauliflower.
- Top with a poached egg and garnish with micro coriander, coconut shavings and almonds and finish by spooning the espuma over the kedgeree.