Royal Garden Chicken Biryani
A rich and fragrant chicken biryani created by Steve Munkley, Executive Head Chef of The Royal Garden Hotel.
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- 75g tomato puree
- 75g red chilli paste, kasmiri
- 50g tumeric powder
- 50g curry powder
- 50g coriander powder
- Pinch of salt
- 800g Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice or Tilda Original Pure Basmati Rice
- 1.6kg chicken, cut into pieces with bone
- 250g onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom seeds
- Pinch of saffron
- 50g ghee
- Coriander leaves
- Mint leaves
- Onions, sliced and fried
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together well.
- Then add the chicken to the marinade and massage into the flesh. Leave the chicken to marinade overnight.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, fry the cardamom seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon and onions until golden brown.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cook until the meat is sealed all over, making sure not to burn the base of the pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil with a little salt.
- Add the Tilda Basmati rice to the pan and cook until for around 10 to 12 minutes. Drain in a large colander.
- Take another heavy bottomed pan and layer up the rice and the chicken alternately until all ingredients are used.
- Dissolve the saffron in a little water and pour over the top of the rice. Sprinkle on the fresh mint and coriander, then wrap tightly with tin foil.
- Place on a low flame for 20 minutes to finish cooking, and then turn off the heat.
- Leave to stand for a further 10 minutes before removing the foil. Serve the finished dish with the fried onions.