Rice Porridge with Caramelised Banana, Coconut & Honey
Rice Porridge with Caramelised Banana, Toasted Coconut & Almonds, Chia Seeds and Honey.
Created by Simon for World Porridge Day in support of Mary's Meals
- 100g Tilda Brown & White Rice (Blitzed in Food Processor)
- 300ml milk
- 1 small banana thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp of caster sugar or honey
- 2 tsp of chia seeds
- Honey to drizzle over
- Blitz the uncooked rice in a food processor for approximately 20 seconds, so you have a blend of broken rice.
- Put in a pan and cover with boiling water, around 1 inch above the rice. Cook over a moderate heat, you will need to keep adding water until the rice is cooked through. This should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the coconut and almond flakes in a dry non-stick pan until light brown whilst stirring. Then put on a plate to one side. Use the same pan for the banana. Coat the slices in a little caster sugar and caramelise in the pan, turning once. Put to one side on a plate.
- Once the rice is cooked, and most of the water evaporated, you’ll be left with the consistency of thick rice pudding. Add the milk and one teaspoon of chia seeds and the sugar. Gently continue to cook for approximately 5-6 minutes, to get the desired consistency. Add more milk if required.
- Serve in 2 bowls, garnish with the banana, coconut and almonds, the rest of the chia seeds and a good drizzle of honey!
- For extra indulgence, add a good dollop of Greek yoghurt!