Chilli Con Carne
- Serves 20
1kg Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice
2.5kg lean beef mince or lean lamb mince, coarsely ground
4tbsp sunflower oil
3 large onions, sliced, sliced
6 garlic cloves, crushed
5 large red chillies, fresh, deseeded and sliced
1 tbsp chilli powder
3 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp dried oregano
1.6kg tomatoes, canned, chopped
100g tomato puree
600g red kidney beans, canned, drained
salt and pepper, to season
30g soured cream (or a lactose free alternative) to serve
Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Heat a large frying pan until hot, then brown the mince in half of the oil until it is separate and crumbly, then remove from the pan.
- To the meat juices add the remaining oil and fry the onions, garlic and chillies. Stir in the spices and oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mince back into the pan with the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, bring to the boil, then partly cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the Basmati rice according to pack instructions.
- Add the kidney beans to the mince and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve on top of the rice with soured cream and spring onions to garnish.