Basmati Christmas Cake
An indulgent gluten-free Christmas cake sure to impress.
250g Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice
1.2 litres / 2 pints milk
4-6 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp chopped peel
2 tbsp rum or brandy
300ml whipping cream or fromage frais
½ tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs, separated
For the topping
225g cream, curd or low fat soft cheese
450ml soured cream or fromage frais
1 lemon, grated rind
1 tsp vanilla essence
Caster sugar, to taste
Selection of fruits, e.g. red berries, strawberries, star fruit to decorate, a few holly leaves to decorate
- Boil the rice for 3 minutes in water, then drain. Return to the saucepan with the milk and four tablespoons of sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer gently, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally until the milk is almost absorbed. Remove and allow to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent skin forming.
- Heat the raisins and pour in the rum or brandy reserve.
- Stir the cream/fromage frais into the rice along with the cinnamon, raisins and peel. Beat the egg yolks and add extra sugar to taste if preferred.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas Mark 3. Grease and line the base of a deep 23cm/9in round cake tin with greaseproof paper. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the rice mixture. Spoon into the tin and bake for approximately 1 hour until golden brown. The top should be slightly wobbly like a soufflé.
- Remove the cake from the tin onto a large serving plate and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Whisk the cream, curd or low fat cheese together with the soured cream or fromage frais until smooth and thick. Fold in the lemon rind, vanilla essence and caster sugar. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the cheese mixture. Decorate with the berry fruits, star fruit slices and holly leaves.