Coconut Jasmine & Ginger Brûlée
With thanks to Alex Wilcock and her students at Farnborough College of Technology who created this delicious recipe.
- 50g Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice
- 10g caster sugar
- 400ml coconut milk
- 100ml milk
- 10g butter
- 200ml double cream
- 50ml milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 50g sugar
- 50g steam ginger puree
- 100g granulated sugar
- 100ml water
- For the Rice - Wash the rice.
- Boil the coconut milk and butter in a saucepan.
- Add the washed rice, stir continuously for about 15-20 mins until the rice is cooked and most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Once cooked add the sugar, remove from the pan and cool at room temperature covered with cling film.
- For the Ginger Brulee - Warm up the cream, milk and ginger puree. DO NOT BOIL.
- Whisk together egg yolks, egg and sugar.
- Pour the warm liquid over the eggs, let stand for 15 minutes to allow the ginger to infuse.
- Strain the eggs and milk and pour onto the cooked Jasmine rice.
- Whisk until all the rice has been dissolved in the brulee mix.
- Pour into flat dishes and cook directly at 90C on the tray for 40-50 minutes or until set.
- o serve sprinkle with crushed caramel and caramelise with a blowtorch.
- For the Crushed Caramel - Boil to caramel, pour the caramel onto greaseproof paper, cool and crush into a powder, sieve and use as required.