Chilli Con Carne
- Serves 20
- 1kg Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice
- 2.5kg lean beef mince or lean lamb mince, coarsely ground
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 large onions, sliced, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 large red chillies, fresh, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 3 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1.6kg tomatoes, canned, chopped
- 100g tomato puree
- 600g red kidney beans, canned, drained
- salt and pepper, to season
- 30g soured cream (or a lactose free alternative) to serve
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
Heat a large frying pan until hot, then brown the mince in half of the oil until it is separate and crumbly, then remove from the pan.
To the meat juices add the remaining oil and fry the onions, garlic and chillies. Stir in the spices and oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the mince back into the pan with the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, bring to the boil, then partly cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile cook the Basmati rice according to pack instructions.
Add the kidney beans to the mince and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Season to taste and serve on top of the rice with soured cream and spring onions to garnish.