Royal Garden Chicken Biryani
- Serves 6
A rich and fragrant chicken biryani created by Steve Munkley, Executive Head Chef of The Royal Garden Hotel.
3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
1/3 cup tomato puree
1/3 cup red chilli paste, kasmiri
¼ cup tumeric powder
¼ cup curry powder
¼ cup coriander powder
Pinch of salt
3 ½ cups Tilda Original Pure Basmati Rice
3 pounds chicken, cut into pieces with bone
1 cup onions, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom seeds
Pinch of saffron
¼ cup ghee
Onions, sliced and fried
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together well.
- Then add the chicken to the marinade and massage into the flesh. Leave the chicken to marinade overnight.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, fry the cardamom seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon and onions until golden brown.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cook until the meat is sealed all over, making sure not to burn the base of the pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil with a little salt.
- Add the Tilda Basmati rice to the pan and cook until for 15-20 minutes. Drain in a large colander.
- Take another heavy bottomed pan and layer up the rice and the chicken alternately until all ingredients are used.
- Dissolve the saffron in a little water and pour over the top of the rice. Sprinkle on the fresh mint and coriander, then wrap tightly with tin foil.
- Place on a low flame for 20 minutes to finish cooking, and then turn off the heat.
- Leave to stand for a further 10 minutes before removing the foil. Serve the finished dish with the fried onions.