Uyghur Ginger-Cumin Lamb Polo Rice with Smashed Cucumber Salad
- Serves 10
We’ve partnered up with The Street Food Company to put together this fiery and flavoursome recipe – Pink Pepper Ginger and Cumin Lamb cooked with Tilda rice and balanced with a cooling Smashed Cucumber Salad. It’s the perfect medley of spice and aromas that definitely packs a punch!
Chilli Rating: 3 – Hot
Uyghur Lamb Polo Rice
400g Street Food Pink Pepper Ginger Paste
600g Tilda Uncooked Easy Cook Long Grain Rice
600g small diced lamb or lamb ribs (cut into single segments)
400g shredded carrots
300g diced white onion
1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
Optional: 50g raisins
1.2 litres water
Smashed Cucumber Salad
200g Street Food Korean Bulgogi
100g orange juice
450g cucumber (approx. 1½ cucumbers)
150g diced red onion
200g diced tomato
1 tsp salt
- For the Uyghur Lamb Polo Rice - Heat some oil in a large lidded pot to medium-high heat. Add lamb; stir fry for 3-4 mins to brown the meat.
- Add onions and cumin seeds; lower heat and stir fry for 4-5 mins. Add Pink Pepper Ginger Paste, carrots and raisins; stir fry for 4-5 mins until softened.
- Add rice and water. Bring to boil then reduce heat to the lowest setting. Cover with lid and cook for 15-20 mins. Remove from direct heat and let the pot rest for 10-15 mins. DO NOT remove the lid.
- Fluff with a fork, plate up and serve with Smashed Cucumber Salad.
- For the Smashed Cucumber Salad - Using a rolling pin, smash the cucumbers and cut into bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Cover and leave to sit for 30mins then drain off any excess liquid and wash off any salt.
- Add red onion, tomato, Korean Bulgogi and orange juice; toss well and serve.