Uyghur Ginger-Cumin Lamb Polo Rice with Smashed Cucumber Salad
- Serves 10
We’ve partnered up with The Street Food Company to put together this fiery and flavoursome recipe – Pink Pepper Ginger and Cumin Lamb cooked with Tilda rice and balanced with a cooling Smashed Cucumber Salad. It’s the perfect medley of spice and aromas that definitely packs a punch!
Chilli Rating: 3 – Hot
Uyghur Lamb Polo Rice
- 400g Street Food Pink Pepper Ginger Paste
- 600g Tilda Uncooked Easy Cook Long Grain Rice
- 600g small diced lamb or lamb ribs (cut into single segments)
- 400g shredded carrots
- 300g diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- Optional: 50g raisins
- 1.2 litres water
Smashed Cucumber Salad
- 200g Street Food Korean Bulgogi
- 100g orange juice
- 450g cucumber (approx. 1½ cucumbers)
- 150g diced red onion
- 200g diced tomato
- 1 tsp salt
- For the Uyghur Lamb Polo Rice - Heat some oil in a large lidded pot to medium-high heat. Add lamb; stir fry for 3-4 mins to brown the meat.
- Add onions and cumin seeds; lower heat and stir fry for 4-5 mins. Add Pink Pepper Ginger Paste, carrots and raisins; stir fry for 4-5 mins until softened.
- Add rice and water. Bring to boil then reduce heat to the lowest setting. Cover with lid and cook for 15-20 mins. Remove from direct heat and let the pot rest for 10-15 mins. DO NOT remove the lid.
- Fluff with a fork, plate up and serve with Smashed Cucumber Salad.
- For the Smashed Cucumber Salad - Using a rolling pin, smash the cucumbers and cut into bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Cover and leave to sit for 30mins then drain off any excess liquid and wash off any salt.
- Add red onion, tomato, Korean Bulgogi and orange juice; toss well and serve.