Basmati Christmas Cake
An indulgent gluten-free Christmas cake that’s sure to impress.
- 1 cup Tilda Basmati Rice
- 2 pints milk
- 4-6 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tbs chopped peel
- 2 tbsp rum or brandy
- 10 1/5 ounces whipping cream or cream cheese
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs, separated
For the topping
- 1 cup cream, curd or low fat soft cheese
- 16 ounces whipping cream or cream cheese
- 1 lemon, grated rind
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Caster sugar, to taste
- Selection of fruits, e.g. red berries, strawberries, star fruit to decorate, a few holly leaves to decorate
- Boil the rice for 3 minutes in water, then drain. Return to the saucepan with the milk and four tablespoons of sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer gently, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally until the milk is almost absorbed. Remove and allow to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent skin forming.
- Heat the raisins and pour in the rum or brandy reserve.
- Stir the cream/cream cheese into the rice along with the cinnamon, raisins and peel. Beat the egg yolks and add extra sugar to taste if preferred.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and line the base of a deep 9in round cake tin with greaseproof paper. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the rice mixture. Spoon into the tin and bake for approximately 1 hour until golden brown. The top should be slightly wobbly like a soufflé.
- Remove the cake from the tin onto a large serving plate and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Whisk the cream, curd or low fat cheese together with the soured cream or fromage frais until smooth and thick. Fold in the lemon rind, vanilla essence and caster sugar. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the cheese mixture. Decorate with the berry fruits, star fruit slices and holly leaves.