Tamarind Pineapple with Arborio Rice Ice Cream
- Serves 4
With coconut, rice granola and pistachio.
Created by Tilda Chef Team of the Year 2018 winners James Garred & Tony Stuart.
1 pineapple, peeled and quartered
90g caster sugar
16 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick, broken into quarters
1 red chilli, de-seeded and roughly chopped
1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways and seeds scraped
40g ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tbsp tamarind paste
Rice Ice Cream
150g Tilda Arborio rice
600ml full fat milk
60g caster sugar
75ml condensed milk
50ml double cream
½ leaf gelatine
1 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
20g icing sugar
200ml of coconut milk
2g of agar agar
Rice Granola with Pistachio
200g Tilda Arborio rice
20g fresh coconut
30g palm sugar
3 tbsp vegetable oil
- For the Pineapple - Add the water, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, red chillies, vanilla pod, ginger and tamarind paste together in a saucepan.
- Bring ingredients to a boil.
- Peel and quarter the pineapple, then add to the stock.
- Place cartouche over the saucepan and cook until pineapple is slightly soft.
- Leave to cool in stock.
- Place on a metal rack and cook in oven until a caramelised golden colour.
- For the Rice Ice Cream - Heat the milk and reduce slowly to 450ml.
- Heat the oil and toast the rice in a saucepan until deep golden. Add the reduced milk and leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Sieve the milk and rice mix, discard the rice and return the milk back to a pan.
- Heat the rice infused milk with the sugar, condensed milk and the glucose until the sugar has dissolved.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water until soft, heat the cream, dissolve the gelatine in the cream then add this to the rice milk.
- For the Pineapple Tuille - Slice pineapple on a mandolin.
- Place slices on silpat mat and dust with icing sugar.
- Leave to dry in hot cabinet.
- For the Coconut Gel - Bring ingredients to a boil for 1 minute then pour onto a tray to set.
- Once it has set, blitz in a blender until smooth and pass through a fine sieve.
- Transfer to a squeezey bottle.
- For the Rice Granola with Pistachio - Cook the rice in a saucepan of boiling water.
- Once cooked drain and rinse off the excess starch under warm running water.
- Drain again and separate the grains onto a baking tray.
- Dry the grains out in the oven at 70C until they are dry and crisp.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the rice grains to the pan and cover with a lid.
- Constantly shake the pan over a medium to high heat (just as you would do when making popcorn) until all grains puff and slightly golden.
- Leave to cool.
- Lightly toast the pistachios and then roughly chop.
- Microplane the palm sugar and coconut and add this to the rice along with the chopped pistachios.