Sugar Snap Pea Risotto
Popular as a lunchtime meal, this delicious dish is gluten free and high in energy. This dish will come out perfect every time and is impossible to get wrong!
Created by Dauntsey’s School, Wiltshire.
175g Tilda Arborio Risotto Rice
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp sugar
350g chopped spinach
150g sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 tbsp minced fresh or 2 tsp dried rubbed sage
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (approx 410ml) vegetable broth (or a gluten free alternative)
60ml dry white wine
60g grated fresh Parmesan cheese (or a gluten free alternative)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sugar; sauté for 30 seconds.
- Stir in spinach, peas, sage, salt, pepper and garlic; sauté for 30 seconds or until the spinach wilts. Remove the spinach mixture from pan and set aside.
- Bring the water and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan; add the Arborio rice. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the wine and cook until it is absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 120ml of the broth mixture; cook for 4 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining broth mixture, 120ml at a time, stirring constantly, until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (this should take about 22 minutes in total).
- Stir in spinach mixture and Parmesan cheese; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated and then serve.