Created by New City College student chefs, winners of Tilda’s Best Use of Rice Award at Zest Quest Asia 2020.
Beef Rendang cooked on the bone with spinach & sweetcorn puree and Indonesian Rendang grilled Fragrant Jasmine rice.
260g Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice
8 garlic cloves
10-12 dried chillies
50ml cooking oil
Beef short ribs
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anise
400ml coconut milk
6 lime leaves
40g toasted coconut
1 tbsp palm sugar
20g dried anchovies
60g roasted peanuts
8 lime leaves
3 bay leaves
2 lemongrass stalks
480ml chicken stock
240ml coconut milk
Pinch of salt
1 banana leaf sheet
1 small red chilli
½ tsp shrimp paste
100g corn puree
- Blitz the spice mix – 5 shallots, 10g galangal, 3 lemongrass, 5 garlic cloves, 10g ginger and 10-12 dried chillies.
- Heat 50ml cooking oil in pressure cooker, sear the beef short ribs, remove and then the add spice mix; 1 stick of cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 star anise and 3 cardamom, stir fry until aromatic.
- Add the beef back into the pressure cooker with 1 pounded lemongrass stalk and stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add 400ml coconut milk, 20ml tamarind , 130ml water, cover and build pressure, cook for 1 hour.
- Add 6 lime leaves, 40g toasted coconut and 1tbsp palm sugar stirring well to blend in with the sauce.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the cooking liquor has thickened and the meat is tender, correct the seasoning.
- Prepare toppings for grilled rice – blanch and refresh 100g beans; stir-fry 20g dried anchovies until crispy, add 60g roasted peanuts and add 5g sugar.
- Rice – rinse 260g jasmine rice, drain well. Heat cooking oil and add aromatics; 8 lime leaves, 3 bay leaves and 1 stalk of lemongrass and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the rice and pour in 480ml chicken stock, 240ml coconut milk and a pinch of salt. Stir well, bring to a gentle simmer, cover the pot and cook for 20 mins. Turn off the heat, let it sit for 10 mins and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Wrapping – place banana leaf sheet on work surface, place the rice in the middle, top with prepared toppings. Roll up into a neat cylinder and secure.
- Place onto grill until grill marks are present.
- Spinach and corn puree – cook 100g of spinach until tender; blitz 200g onion, 3 cloves of garlic and 1 small red chilli in blender. Place ½ tsp of shrimp paste in a hot pan with oil to toast. Combine with 100g corn puree in a blender with remaining ingredients, add coconut milk if necessary to adjust consistency.