- Serves 4
Delicious pudding made with made with coconut milk, roasted cashews, raisins and pistachios and sweetened with maple syrup.
Recipe courtesy of www.greatbritishchefs.com
100g Tilda Original Pure Basmati Rice
200ml almond milk
400ml coconut milk tin
40ml Maple Syrup – you can adjust this if you prefer it sweeter or less sweet
5 cardamom pods (seeds only, pounded to a fine powder)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp of cashew nuts, pistachios & raisins
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
Pinch of coconut shards
- In a wide, heavy bottom sauce pan, add the rice, full fat milk and coconut milk, and heat over medium heat. Keep stirring it and bring to the boil.
- Simmer and stir in the maple syrup and the crushed cardamom seeds.
- This needs to cook gently for about 30 minutes. Make sure you stir the rice so it doesn’t stick. If it feels too dry just add a little more milk.
- Test the rice by squeezing it between your fingers. Once it's soft and cooked through the pudding should have a lovely creamy consistency, remove it from the heat and cover with a lid.
- In a frying pan heat the coconut oil and add cashew nuts to toast slightly, add the pistachios and raisins and fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the fried nuts along with the butter over the Payasam with a sprinkle of the coconut and pomegranate seeds, and serve warm.