Thai Fish Cakes Served with Turmeric-Infused Basmati
- 480g Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 200g cod fillet
- 200g salmon fillet
- 100g crab
- ½ red peppers
- 2 red chilli , use 1 if you don't like things too hot!
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander , chopped
- 3 spring onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 stick of lemongrass lemongrass lemongrass
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or fish source
- 1 egg , beaten
- 125ml coconut milk
- Vegetable oil , for shallow frying
- Place the red pepper, chillis, coriander, spring onion, garlic, lemongrass and fish sauce/stock in a food processor and blend to a paste.
- Cut the fish into small pieces and add this, along with the crab, to the mixture. Blend again until the mixture becomes a paste. Add the coconut milk and the beaten egg and blend again.
- Place the mixture in a bowl and chill in a refrigerator, for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight), to allow the flavours to develop.
- Place the Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice and the turmeric in an oven-proof tray and fill with enough cold water to cover the rice by ½”. Stir and then cover the tray with aluminum foil and place in an oven, preheated to 180°C, for 12-15 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a spoon, form the mixture into small fish cakes.
- Half fill a heavy based frying pan with the vegetable oil and heat until a cube of bread turns golden in a few seconds. Caution – hot oil can be dangerous so do not leave the pan unattended.
- Lower the fish cakes a few at a time into the hot oil (this should reach halfway up the side of the fish cakes). Fry until crisp and golden, turning once during cooking, this should take around 1½ minutes.
- Remove from the fish cakes from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat process until all the fish cakes are cooked.
- Serve with the turmeric infused Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice and sweet chilli sauce.