Spiced Halibut with Jewelled Saffron Rice
- Serves 4
Basmati pilau rice, tandoori halibut crab beignet and sea vegetables.
Created by Tilda Chef Team of the Year 2018 winners James Garred & Tony Stuart.
- 2 Shallots, finely diced
- 2 Cardamon pods, crushed
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic
- Pinch of Saffron
- Pinch of Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp smoked Paprika
- 1/2 bunch of chopped Coriander
- 2 ladles of Tilda Original Pure Basmati rice
- 3 1/2 ladles of Water
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate
- 2g Flaked Almond
- 200g fresh White Crab
- 100g fresh Brown Crab Meat
- 1 tsp Red Chilli
- 2 tsp Coriander
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 100g Plain Flour
- 40g Corn Flour
- 70ml cold Soda Water
- 4 x 130g Halibut
- 4 tsp smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp ground Coriander
- 2 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Saffron
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 6 tsp Malden salt
- 300ml full fat Greek Yoghurt
- 1kg Lobster Heads
- 1/2 Carrot, chopped
- 1/2 White Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 sprig of Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 Star Anise
- 10g Tomato Purée
- 1 Tomato, over-ripe, deseeded
- 500ml Brandy
- 2 litre Chicken Stock
- 800ml Cream
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 1 pinch of Pepper
- For the Rice - Sweat off onions, garlic, cardamom and cinnamon stick in ghee.
- Add spices.
- Add rice, stirring until beginning to crackle.
- Add water, butter and stir.
- Place cartouche over rice and cover pot with foil.
- Place the pot in the oven at 180°C for 28 minutes.
- Remove from oven and keep covered for 5-15 minutes until ready to serve.
- Garnish with coriander, toasted flaked almonds and pomegranate.
- For the Crab Beignet - Pick the white crab meat then pass the brown meat through a fine sieve.
- Finely chop the chilli and coriander and microplane.
- Add the ingredients together and season to taste.
- Roll into balls and set in the fridge until firm.
- Heat the deep fat fryer to 180°C.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the batter.
- Roll the crab into the extra flour then coat them in the batter.
- Fry until golden brown.
- For the Halibut Marinade - Mix all the spices and yoghurt together in a bowl and place the halibut portions into the bowl, coat the fish and leave to marinade.
- Once marinated, place a hot frying pan on the stove and cook skin side down until the skin begins to go a golden colour, then add butter to the pan and base the fish until cooked.
- For the Bisque Sauce - To make the bisque, chop up the lobster shells and roast in the oven at 180°C for about 50 minutes, until dried and roasted.
- Meanwhile, add the carrots to a wide pan with oil and caramelise deeply. Add the onions and fennel and caramelise very slowly. Towards the end of cooking, add the garlic and herbs and cook until broken down.
- Add the spices and toast them for a maximum of 2 minutes. Add the tomato purée and tomatoes and cook out for 10 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the brandy and burn out the alcohol. Reduce to a glaze, then add the shells and the stock to cover.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for 1 hour then pass the liquid through a sieve lined with muslin into a clean pan. Reduce by half.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil. Season with lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste.