Sicilian Cauliflower & Caramalised Onion Rice
The sweet smokiness of the caramelized onions is great with the spicy savoury flavour of cauliflower. Sultanas and pine nuts are a very Sicilian combination as is cloves. All in all this is a really gratifying bit of comfort food, soul warming in the Winter and just as lovely cold or room temperature as a salad in the Summer.
- 200g Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 600g cauliflower, broken into 4cm florets
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 cloves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced 1cm cubes
- 4 sprigs rosemary, roughly broken up
- 50g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 50g sultana
- Place the rice into a large saucepan of boiling salted water. Simmer over a medium heat for 25 minutes until tender, then drain.
- While it’s cooking, heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a very low heat with the lid on for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until really soft and beginning to turn a light golden colour.
- Add the garlic, cloves, carrot and rosemary and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until the onions are a lovely amber colour.
- Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower in a saucepan of salted, boiling water for 7 minutes until really tender. Drain really well in a colander.
- Tip the Tilda Brown Basmati rice into a large serving bowl and add the cauliflower and onions.
- Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and scatter over the nuts and sultanas.
- Season generously with lots of salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss thoroughly.