Mama B’s Chicken Biryani
- Serves 6
We have partnered with The Great British Baking Show star, Ruby Bhogal, who has created a special Mother’s Day Dish that celebrates the role food has played in her relationship with her own mom. For every specially-marked pack sold, Tilda will be funding a nutrition-boosting meal for a mom in need through the UN World Food Programme.
2 cups Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
3 3/4 cups water
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chili powder
1 small chopped onion
½ ounce salted butter
1 cup mixed vegetables (green beans, peas, carrots)
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
2 ¼ pounds diced chicken (boneless drumsticks)
2 medium diced onions
1 tbsp olive oil
3 to 4 garlic cloves
3 tsp ginger
½ can of tomatoes
2 tsp chopped green finger chilies
1 tsp turmeric
2 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
Handful of fresh cilantro
- Into a medium-sized saucepan, add the chopped onions and gently heat in butter. Once melted, add in cumin, and continue to sizzle for 2 mins.
- Add in the mixed vegetables and allow to cook for 5 mins—remember to regularly stir.
- When the vegetables have cooked through, add in salt, turmeric, garam masala, and chili powder. Stir well and add the water.
- While the water is heating up, wash the rice thoroughly in cold water. Drain the rice and add it to the saucepan. Stir well, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and cover with the lid. Keep the rice on the heat for approx. 15 mins until the water has evaporated.
- In the meantime, let’s get the chicken cooked. Add the diced onions and oil to a large saucepan and cook. The onions should be golden brown and translucent before you add in the garlic.
- Grate in the cloves of garlic and mix well, and follow that by grating in the ginger. Mix well.
- Add in the canned tomatoes, followed by the green chilies, turmeric, salt, and garam masala. Stir well before adding the chopped fresh cilantro.
- The base needs to reduce for approx. 5 mins before adding in the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to cook thoroughly and any excess water to evaporate. Check the temperature of the chicken to ensure it is cooked, before adding in the cooked rice. Layer the chicken and rice gently.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Optional: serve alongside a fresh green salad and a raita.