Royal Garden Chicken Biryani
- Serves 6
A rich and fragrant chicken biryani created by Steve Munkley, Executive Head Chef of The Royal Garden Hotel.
150g Greek yoghurt
75g tomato puree
75g red chilli paste, kasmiri
50g tumeric powder
50g curry powder
50g coriander powder
Pinch of salt
800g Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice or Tilda Original Pure Basmati Rice
1.6kg chicken, cut into pieces with bone
250g onions, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom seeds
Pinch of saffron
Onions, sliced and fried
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together well.
- Then add the chicken to the marinade and massage into the flesh. Leave the chicken to marinade overnight.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, fry the cardamom seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon and onions until golden brown.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cook until the meat is sealed all over, making sure not to burn the base of the pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil with a little salt.
- Add the Tilda Basmati rice to the pan and cook until for around 10 to 12 minutes. Drain in a large colander.
- Take another heavy bottomed pan and layer up the rice and the chicken alternately until all ingredients are used.
- Dissolve the saffron in a little water and pour over the top of the rice. Sprinkle on the fresh mint and coriander, then wrap tightly with tin foil.
- Place on a low flame for 20 minutes to finish cooking, and then turn off the heat.
- Leave to stand for a further 10 minutes before removing the foil. Serve the finished dish with the fried onions.