A version of the classic Punjab rice dish, spiced with mint and cinnamon, and flavoured with coconut.
Difficulty (1-5): 5
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Soak the rice in cold water for 20 minutes, then wash and put in a pan with a large pinch of salt.
- Cover with water until 1cm (½in) above the surface of the rice, bring to the boil and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Cover the pan, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, lemon juice and saffron water then pour over the rice. Sprinkle over the fenugreek powder.
- Turn off the heat and leave to steam for a further 5 minutes.
- Take off the lid and fork through the rice. Allow it to cool on a large plate.
- Heat half the oil, add the garlic, ginger and onion. Fry til golden brown.
- Add the cardamoms, cloves, salt and turmeric. Add the cheese and coconut and other vegetables separately in the remaining oil. Add ½ the saffron rice and about four sprigs worth each of the coriander and ½ of the mint to the ginger and garlic mixture, then stir in the fried vegetables.
- Pack into a casserole and keep warm in a low oven for about half and hour.
- Serve with the extra coriander and mint, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a wedge of lime.
- 8 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4cm (2in) stick of ginger, grated
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1tsp tumeric powder
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 50g (2oz) cream cheese/paneer
- the flesh of half a coconut, grated
- 8-10 green chillies, de-seeded and Sliced lengthwise
- 12 green beans
- 2 potatoes, cut into thin sticks
- 1/2 cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1 handful coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lime cut into quarters
For the saffron rice:
- 240g (8oz) Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 1-2 red chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp chana daal (yellow split peas)
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 pinch of turmeric powder
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 10 saffron strands, soaked in 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, dry roasted and powdered