Unusual Basmati Croquette With Sweet Corn Centre Served With A Hot Tangy Sauce
By Germain Schwab of Winteringham Fields, North Lincolnshire
“This recipe may look complicated at first but all the procedures are simple and easy.”
Difficulty (1-5): 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1hr 15mins chilling time
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
For the croquettes
- Place the sweet corn and brine into a blender and whiz into a puree.
- Line a plate or tray with grease proof paper and place sweetcorn puree onto the paper in teaspoon sized mounds.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, onion, chilli and rice, toss until all the ingredients have a glisten.
- Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Check the rice is cooked and add the Gruyare, coriander and basil.
- Place half this mixture into a food processor with the egg whites.
- Blend until you have a paste.
- Using a spatula fold in the remaining rice mix.
- Spread this on a flat tray, and chill in the fridge for 45 minutes or until very cold.
- You can put the mix in the freezer for 15 minutes, if short of time.
Follow this next procedure making one croquette at a time
- Remove the sweetccorn mixture from the freezer and the rice mix from the fridge.
- Take the cold rice mixture, and wrap around the sweetcorn mixture so as to form a complete and tight ball the size of a golf ball.
- Repeat using all the mixture.
- Place the croquette in the freezer and leave for a minimum of 15 minutes before coating.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks with the whole egg. Roll the croquette in the flour, dip in the beaten eggs and roll in breadcrumbs.
- At this stage the croquette can be kept in the freezer until ready to use.
- When ready to cook, heat the frying oil (temperature 180-190 C) in a large saucepan or deep fat fryer and cook the croquettes in batches for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
For the sauce
- Heat the olive oil and cook the shallots and garlic for 1minute, add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer for 5-10minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve the croquettes on a bed of rocket alongside the tangy sauce.
Larger quantities may be made and kept in the freezer until ready to use. Use the rice mixture only to make bite sized croquettes as a finger buffet idea. You could always serve with a good quality ready made tomato salsa.
For the croquettes
- 1/2 x 160g tin of sweet corn in brine
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, very finely chopped
- 125g / 4oz Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 500ml / 1 pint vegetable stock
- 125g / 4oz Gruyere cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 125g / 4oz flour
- 1 medium whole egg
- 175g / 6oz breadcrumbs
- Oil, for frying
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chilli, finely chopped
- 1 lemon grass finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 6 tbsp chopped tinned tomato
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 50ml / 2fl oz tarragon vinegar
- Pinch of cumin powder
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped basil
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Rocket leaves